  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Helen and Graham
Sent: Saturday, 3 February 2007 9:49 AM
To: ozmidwifery
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Article about natural birth and brain haemorrhage

Haven't they got anything better to research??!!

Helen

 <http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/story/0,,2001561,00.html>
http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/story/0,,2001561,00.html

One in four natural births causes brain haemorrhage

Ian Sample
Tuesday January 30, 2007
 <http://www.guardian.co.uk/> The Guardian
Giving birth naturally increases the risk of minor brain haemorrhages in
newborn babies, according to a study. Brain scans of babies aged between one
and five weeks showed small ruptures in blood vessels in or around the brain
are common, affecting one in four children born naturally.

Babies delivered by caesarean section showed no signs of even minor
bleeding.

In most cases, the haemorrhages are harmless and heal naturally, but larger
ruptures can affect brain development, leading to seizures, or problems with
learning or coordination.

Doctors at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, used magnetic
resonance imaging (MRI) to scan 88 healthy newborns. Of the 65 delivered
naturally, 17 had intracranial haemorrhages and seven had ruptures in at
least two separate regions.

John Gilmore, a professor of psychiatry and lead scientist on the study,
said the bleeding was not caused by the size of the baby or the baby's head,
the duration of labour, or the use of vacuum or forceps to assist delivery.
"The bleeds are probably caused by pressure on the skull during delivery,"
he said.

The scientists noticed the high rate of haemorrhages while conducting scans
to assess brain development in children perceived to be at high risk of
mental disorders. "What we've shown is that if you get these bleeds, you
don't have to think something has gone wrong with the delivery, because
these are common," said Prof Gilmore, whose study is published in Radiology.

The team will conduct further scans when the babies are one and two years
old. This may help doctors assess future cases of "shaken baby syndrome",
where injuries to a baby are contested. In some cases, parents or guardians
claim brain injuries have been inflicted naturally at birth. The scans may
reveal whether small haemorrhages at birth grow to become more threatening,
or gradually heal with time.
Special reports
 <http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/0,,618095,00.html> Medicine and health

Useful links