Hi All, has anyone had any experience with caring for a woman with primary
lymphedema?

A friend of mine has this condition and is 24/40 at the moment. Her symptoms
haven't worsened through the pregnancy up to this point. I have had a look at a
few databases and texts and it seems there hasn't been any research done in
this area and there aren't any guidelines for management of pregnancy/birth for
these women.

So I'm looking for any anecdotal evidence in this area. It seems that the real
risk in this situation is with postpartum infection, so logic would say avoid
acquiring a caesarean wound. But she has been told that excessive pushing
during 2nd stage could be problematic for her in that most of the lymph nodes
she's missing are in her groin and her edema is in her legs.
What do you think?

Many thanks,
Katrina Flora
Student Midwife, 2nd year ACU