Hi Kate
I must have missed the first post here - just got Denise's reply.
I was one of the Swan Districts Birth Centre team when it began.  The reasons
given for it's eventual closure were many and varied but boiled down to:

>Insufficient consumer use- this was sad and I'm sure that had there been
>greater public demand/awareness we might still be in business.  Those that
>used our FBC loved it, but our exclusion and transfer criteria policies meant
>a high transfer-out rate, also just the one room meant that if 2 FBC ladies
>were labouring at the same time it was 'first come first serve'. A large
>proportion of transfers were for this reason.   So our numbers were only about
>70 births per year, but we handled all of the ante-natal care for those who
>chose FBC or our GP/MW Public ANC option.

>Expense, and what was seen (by management) as waste of resources in use of
>experienced midwives, sometimes 'doubling-up' of services i.e. home visiting,
>childbirth classes. cars, mobile phones (Oh the trouble we had trying to get
>more than ONE mobile phone in the beginning!!)  We were also on a higher wage
>scale to allow for the unsociable hours of on-call and nights.

>Difficulty in recruiting midwives to the system of on-call within a team of
>only 3 midwives, trying to recruit from within staff already employed, many of
>whom were not interested in this sort of work/system. It was hard to take time
>off when ther was no one to relieve!  I worked for the fist 18 months without
>a holiday because there were no replacements - also meant you could not be
>sick!

>Pressure from the Obs who did not approve and who were not willing to 'pick up
>the disasters that the m/w's and GP's could not handle' - never have been
>'team players' our guys!!

>And basically and bottom line (IMHO) was that it was established after sitting
>empty for many years while fighting to overcome the objections to its use (a
>bit like our bath on labour ward is right now - still not allowed to use the
>blessed thing - 6 months down and counting!!)  and that management never
>really wanted it to succeed, we were under threat of closure almost from the
>first birth.  They want to run an obstetric unit and have no place for GP or
>midwifery-led options - despite all they say to the contrary.

We fought long and hard, and tried some different options to overcome the above
issues but eventually lost our unit, and sadly our lovely GPs, most of whom no
longer have any outlet to practice obstetrics at all which is a great loss to
our local women. The FBC is now used as the doctors' private flat for when they
are here on their 24hour (highly lucrative) stints. For a while we were able to
use it as a private place to care for women/families undergoing pregnancy loss,
the doctor on duty would move out and these families really appreciated this
service. However the Obs have even taken this away and refuse to go sleep
anywhere else when the situation occurs, even though there are very acceptable
alternatives open to them.

I for one still mourn its loss - although have to say that it was by no means a
'perfect' system and there are many better ways to organise mid-led care.  Met
one of 'my' FBC mums and 11 year-old boy last week, she was visiting a friend
and new bub,  and I still remembered her name, her son's name and her surname
(for me quite amazing as I have a big problem with names:-)) even remembered
where she had lived!  That was the difference - we really knew our FBC ladies
and had a good time with them and their births.

As for Mandurah - I have no idea but would imagine a similar story - anyone out
there who was part of that team?

Regards
Sue
PS