  From: Denise Hynd
  To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
  Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:19 AM
  Subject: [ozmidwifery] Background Breifing today

  Dear All

  Another uninformed program on Radio National Background Briefing today
supposedly about increasing patient responsibility

  Please if you heard it send them an email at

  http://www.abc.net.au/rn/backgroundbriefing/contact/

  Here is mine and their phone number is on the same web address so you can
phone them also

  Dear background Briefing
  I was so disappointed by your example of "innovative maternity services"!
Research here and overseas has repeatedly shown that private maternity care is
costly on all levels as it results in higher rates of intervention in child
birth with subsequent higher rates of problems with breastfeeding and
post-natal depression, compared to vaginal birth.
  Please explain how the hotel based post-natal "care" you presented is an
example of increased self-responsibity on the part of women,as your title
suggests? Again evidence shows this happens with continuity of a known carer,
for example as in New Zealand with their national Lead Maternity Carer
arrangements!
  Australian maternity services with about 250,000 birth per year and more than
30% of these ending in Caesarean section accounts for a huge proportion of the
national health budget.
  Many consumer groups under the umbrella of Maternity Coalition
(www.maternitycoalition.org.au) and the Australian College of Midwives

  (www.midwives.org.au) have been lobbying all governments to allow women
access to primary midwifery options of care!
  Please if you really do want to consider patient responsibility in maternity
care talk to the President of Maternity Coalition Justine Caines (02) 6545 3612.
  Thank you Denise Hynd

  Denise Hynd

  "Let us support one another, not just in philosophy but in action, for the
sake of freedom for all women to choose exactly how and by whom, if by anyone,
our bodies will be handled."

  - Linda Hes

  http://www.eset.com