Hi Peter,

That's a pretty big question that can't be answered without knowing more about
your environment.

Generally speaking you would recreate the web apps in your dev/stage farm
first. Don't create any site collections.

You should then be able to perform a backup/restore from your prod environment.
If the apps are small enough I'd use stsadm over Backup Exec because the latter
piece of sh!te. :) Out-of-place backups are not its forte.

Do an stsadm backup of each top level site and then restore these to the
respective web apps. OR, if you've got dozens of site collections, you may want
to perform an application or database level backup/restore. It all comes down
to size and numbers.

Then, assuming ALL your customisations were deployed via solution files, you
would deploy them all accordingly. Refer to your prod farm's solution store to
see which solutions were deployed where. Hopefully your 3rd party dev provided
some kind of doco for their work.

Regards,

Paul

--
Online Developer/SharePoint Administrator,
ICT Infrastructure Team