Hi,

> 1)      Is there a way to “Publish” a list content type as a site content
> type?

Not through the UI (that I am aware of). There may be some way it is possible
through SP Designer, or you could save the list as a template, download the
.stp and rename to .cab, extract the schematic.xml and get the CAML from here
to make your content type in visual studio (pretty long-winded)

> 2)      If not, is there a way to copy a list content type and make others
> with the same base fields?

Not so much the list content type itself, but is possible to make a template of
the list (which would include the list content type) and re-use it.

If it was me, I would look at creating the site content type, then migrating
your existing list data over to a list using the new site content type. Site
CTs enables you to classify the same type of data throughout a site collection,
which lets you do a lot of useful things like refining in search results,
applying workflows, applying info mgmt policies, rolling up data of that type
etc.

There are a lot of data migration products around that can help in migrating
your existing data to you new list, or it is a fairly simple power shell script.

Good luck,

Nigel

Sent from my iPad