Paul,
               It really depends on how you have setup the XML file that
defines your custom field.  Looks like you XML file should contain similar to:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<FieldTypes>
  <FieldType>
    <Field Name="FieldTypeClass"> CEO.SP14.CascadingLookUp,
CEO.SP14.CascadingLookUp, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</Field>
    <Field
Name="FieldEditorUserControl">/_controltemplates/CEO.SP14.CascadingLookUp/clueditcontrolwithfilter.ascx</Field>

The reason you use ASCX files is so you can use the design surface.  When
properly using the designer, this will create your code-behind with a partial
class so that it can include the designer generated code.  Unlike previousl
versions of Studio, you don't have to worry about Visual Studio 2010 deploying
your code-behind files.  Your class declaration should look like:
namespace CEO.SP14.CascadingLookup {

    public partial class CLUEditControlWithFilter : UserControl, IFieldEditor {

If you still can't get it to work, I would download some of the example custom
field code in the SharePoint SDK as a reference to compare to yours.
Cheers,
               James.

James Boman  ■ Telephone: +61 (08) 7200 1100 ■ Mobile: +61 (0) 417 857 298 ■