Hi All,
We are using SharePoint 2010, and have a Document Set which has a large number
of shared fields, some of which are multiple lines of text.
Some of the allowed content types for the document set use Word document
templates, which then use quick parts to display the metadata properties pushed
down from the document set in the content of the document.
We have experienced a problem lately where Word hangs attempting open documents
on the splash screen showing "Processing..."
A lot of digging around has shown (I think) that Word custom properties have a
character limit of 255 char (similar complaints are here:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/worddev/thread/fb885674-dc8c-4c0a-9202-374adbf11612/
 and here: https://forum.solidworks.com/message/282519#282519).
Testing of the documents that hang in our environment has proven this out - the
problem docs all have fields with content > 255 chars, shrinking it down makes
them open correctly.
The users are going to pitch a blue fit if we try and limit them to 255 chars
for these fields!
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and has any possible
resolution/work around. My possible solutions are:- Whinge at MS (can't see any
joy coming from this approach)- Use multiple fields limited to 255 chars (this
would involve a lot of work re-doing the SharePoint forms, document templates,
plus a nasty script to split the existing >255char content into the new
fields)- Switch from using Word documents to web pages, display the field
content much like a publishing page (I like this approach, but as it is going
to require a bit of dev time to might be a hard sell)
Any ideas?
Cheers,
Nigel