I have done something similar, with a document set that has approx 60-70
columns. I created a custom new form for the document set (as this is the only
way to edit the new form for a doc set) and embedded jQuery in it to give the
form tabs, do client side validations etc.

I then edited the edit and view forms, added content editor web parts with
pretty much the same jQuery, so they get the tabs and the edit form gets the
validations.

It all works well, and although there is some maintenance when the fields
change, I much prefer it to have to change a little bit of jQuery and let the
ootb list web part handle the CRUD operations then to have to develop a set of
custom forms to do it (I know info path is an option, but we use managed
metadata, so that pretty much rules that out).

Sent from my iPad