Try applying an OOTB masterpage and see if the problem persists. If not, it's
likely a missing placeholder.

I just went through this issue again in my earlier post about the unique
permissions block not being present on user.aspx.

I'm not sure which one was responsible but I now have the following in a hidden
panel at the end of my master.

<asp:Panel visible="false" runat="server">
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderTitleAreaClass" runat="server" />
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderGlobalNavigationSiteMap"
runat="server" />
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderGlobalNavigation" runat="server"
/>
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderSearchArea" runat="server" />
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderHorizontalNav" runat="server" />
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderTopNavBar" runat="server" />
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderSiteName" runat="server" />
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderPageDescription" runat="server"
/>
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderPageImage" runat="server" />
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderTitleLeftBorder" runat="server"
/>
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderMiniConsole" runat="server" />
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderTitleRightMargin" runat="server"
/>
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderTitleAreaSeparator"
runat="server" />
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderNavSpacer" runat="server" />
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderLeftNavBarBorder" runat="server"
/>
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderBodyLeftBorder" runat="server" />
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderBodyRightMargin" runat="server"
/>
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="WSSDesignConsole" runat="server" />
        <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="SPNavigation" runat="server" />
</asp:Panel>