Chui has it!

Storyboard.TargetProperty="(TransformGroup.RenderTransform).Children[0].Angl
e"

                                 From="90" To="0">

Now I look again, this makes the TargetProperty match the first child of the
control's RenderTransform. What confuses me is that I pasted the original
XAML over from a WPF app where it was working the "wrong" way. This subtle
change makes it work in Silverlight.

  <comn:WidgetHelpControl x:Name="helpCtl">

    <comn:WidgetHelpControl.RenderTransform>

      <TransformGroup>

        <RotateTransform Angle="90" CenterX="200" CenterY="200" />

        <ScaleTransform CenterX="200" CenterY="200" ScaleX="0.0"
ScaleY="0.0"/>

      </TransformGroup>

    </comn:WidgetHelpControl.RenderTransform>

  </comn:WidgetHelpControl>

Thanks heaps, the corny zoom-out animation impresses dumb schmucks in
marketing. I guess that's why animations were invented.

Greg