Hi,

This last thread has been very interesting.
This is what I am hearing.

   To build a Perl Application Server, use Apache+mod_perl for
   processing of backend functions *as well as* interacting with
   the users.

   Although the Apache server only listens for HTTP requests,
   other timed and system events can be "injected" into the app
   server using an HTTP request (using LWP perhaps) from small
   programs waiting on those events (time elapsed/cron/at,
   resource becomes available, IO unblocks, etc.).

   (Presumably it is not outside this central vision too much
   to have separate Apache/mod_perl server sets serving the
   "user requests" and the "system requests" if it is desired.)

This concept for a Perl Application Server based on Apache/mod_perl
is promoted by:

   Rob Nagler
   http://archive.develooper.com/p5ee%40perl.org/msg01146.html
   Perrin Harkins
   http://archive.develooper.com/p5ee%40perl.org/msg01163.html

Others tend to concur.

   Bas Schulte
   http://archive.develooper.com/p5ee%40perl.org/msg01195.html
   Matt Sergeant
   http://archive.develooper.com/p5ee%40perl.org/msg01191.html

While others had reservations, and thought that separate backend
application servers were more appropriate for various reasons.

   Gunther Birznieks
   http://archive.develooper.com/p5ee%40perl.org/msg01151.html
   Aaron Johnson
   http://archive.develooper.com/p5ee%40perl.org/msg01164.html
   http://archive.develooper.com/p5ee%40perl.org/msg01170.html

Others simply weighed in to say that a solution to the
"Perl Application Server" problem would be highly desirable.

   Nigel Hamilton
   http://archive.develooper.com/p5ee%40perl.org/msg01196.html

The other main candidate proposed for a framework for a Perl
Application Server was POE.

   Rocco Caputo
   http://archive.develooper.com/p5ee%40perl.org/msg01149.html
   http://poe.perl.org/?POE_Cookbook/Application_Servers
   Gunther Birznieks
   http://archive.develooper.com/p5ee%40perl.org/msg01159.html

Is this an accurate reflection of people's views?

Stephen

P.S. Besides my interactive processes (interacting with the users)
and my queue worker (data collection) processes, I also have a
nightly batch which loads data files which have been FTP'ed to
the server from another Reservations System vendor.

Do Rob/Perrin/others recommend that this also be done by Apache
children? If I understand the proposal correctly, the answer would
be yes.