I installed the "ZEN" VM of PacketFence and am working through the
Getting Started section if the Installation Guide:
https://www.packetfence.org/doc/PacketFence_Installation_Guide.html#_connecting_packetfence_to_microsoft_active_directory

On step 5.2 "Connecting PacketFence to Microsoft Active Directory",
after completing the form, when I click "Create", an error appears and
the form is not submitted:
"Unable to add machine account with the following error:"
(Note: no details of the error are shown.)

I noticed a warning on the screen that states "Joining or unjoining a
Domain requires a restart of services to be fully effective.", and the
ntlm-auth-api shows as stopped.
When I try to start that service, it fails: "Failed to start services
ntlm-auth-api. See the server error logs for more information."

The entries in /usr/local/pf/logs/packetfence.log state:

Feb 29 17:38:44 packetfence pfperl-api-docker-wrapper[18780]:
pfperl-api(11) INFO: [mac:[undef]] Daemon ntlm-auth-api took 0.806
seconds to start. (pf::services::manager::launchServ
ice)
Feb 29 17:38:44 packetfence pfperl-api-docker-wrapper[18780]:
pfperl-api(11) ERROR: [mac:[undef]]
pf::services::manager::ntlm_auth_api=HASH(0x557fc5e8cee8)->name died
or has failed
to start (pf::services::manager::postStartCleanup)

I tried Googling "name died or has failed to start", as well as this
mailing list archive, to no avail.

What do I need to do to fix the configuration of this supposedly
"zero-effort NAC" instance?  :-)

Thanks in advance for any advice.