Idézet Xavier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Nagy Gabor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I guess I spoke to soon. I was right concerning xdelta3 using gzip for
handling gzipped files, however it doesn't use the -n flag. This gives
us the same behaviour as xdelta1, with one minor difference: Method 1.
stops working.

Wait. I don't understand something. If it doesn't use the -n flag, how can
we produce an md5sum-identical patched file? (The mtime is unpredictable.)
This poses an extra problem, or not? I just did an effective test on
xdelta3-diffing .tar.gz files and I saw that the patched md5sum indeed
differ from the original one :-( Maybe we should search for a gzip header
manipulation tool...

One of the proposal was to use gzip -n, which should fix this problem.

xdelta1 used(?) "gzip -n" for _patched_ .tar.gz file, xdelta3 doesn't use "-n", so setting "-n" for the original .tar.gz file won't help any more. Probably xdelta3 also can be configured or patched to use "-n"... Or I may completely misunderstood something...

Bye