Yes Palm says it has a total of 8Gb internal storage (see here for the full specs : http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9668/palm-announces-the-palm-pre-smartphone/)

but with regards to the absence of an SD slot the only thing I can think of is that Palm designers were trying to keep the thickness/cost of the Pre down? To me though it would be worth sacrificing a lttle more thickness for the undoubted usefulness of an SD slot. Maybe the production model will have it or maybe even one of the "other" models that Palm say will follow... A lot of maybes...

Edward Jones