From: Regis St-Gelais [mailto:regis.st-gel...@laubrass.com]
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2010 6:46 AM
To: Palm Developer Forum
Subject: Re: palm-dev-forum digest: April 21, 2010

>"Fred Stein" <fredst...@basler.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
>188...@palm-dev-forum...
>
>While PalmOS isn't an oxymoron, it's no longer really Palm's OS. They
>were morons to sell it off and now they may have sell the whole company.

Fred,

There was a good reason at the time to split Palm in 2 company.

Palm were selling Palm OS to licencies (SONY was the main one) and they were
also making devices running Palm OS.
Licencies were complaining that Palm was at the same time selling the OS and
competing with them by making devices.
So they splited in 2 company:  Palm Source (for the OS) and Palm One (for
the device)
What they did not expect was that the biggest licency (SONY) dropped Palm OS
about one year after the split.
So Palm One became the major client of Palm Source and this was not
genereting enougth profit for Palm Source.
Palm source sold themself to Access.

With all this, Palm One (now only called Palm because they rebougth the
brand name from Access) was making devices but was not able to make major
changes to Palm OS. So it stop evoluating.

They finaly decided to build a new OS (WebOS) but Apple already had a big
head start.

Just my 2 cents

--
Regis St-Gelais