Dave:

You stated that "hardware migration should be as easy as rewiring the
keyboard to use the new connector and adding the proper Peripheral ID
resistor".  Since you've "converted several hardware products", can you
please verify that my connections are correct?

I was not able to access the links provided in a previous e-mail.  But I'm
guessing that they were links to 1) "Electrical Interface (16-pin)
Connections for Palm Handhelds" which shows the connections between the
Palm, Serial Cradle and PC DB9; and 2) "Electrical Interface Signals for
Palm Handhelds" which was a table with headings: Pin #, Signal Name, and
Function.
http://www.palmos.com/dev/tech/hardware/palmhardware/electrical_interface(16
-pin)signals.pdf  &
http://www.palmos.com/dev/tech/hardware/palmhardware/electrical_interface(16
-pin)connections.pdf.  I used this information to rewire as shown here.

Obviously the 10 pin docking connector must change to a 16 pin version.

> I've remapped the signals from the 10 pin to the 16 pin as follows:
>
> PALM 10            PALM 16
> 1. DTR                15. DTR
> 2. 3.3Vdc                9. Vout
> 3. RD                10. RxD
> 4. RTS                14. RTS
> 5. TD                11. TxD
> 6. CTS                13. CTS
> 7. GP11                5. HS IRO
> 8. GP12                No 16 pin connection
> 9. Unused                No 16 pin connection
> 10. SG                7. SG
>
> I've also made the following hardwired connections on the 16 pin
connector.
> 100K Ohm, 1% resistor (for a RS-232 Peripheral) from pin 8 (ID) to SG.
> Pin 12 (detect) to SG.
>
> The Palm asserts the correct handshaking signals to enable my device to
> transmit data, but the data transmitted from my peripheral is still not
> recognized by the Palm 500.

Did I rewire correctly?  My functional 10-pin interface keypad emulates
Palm's Stowaway fold-up keyboard.

Best Regards,

Wayne