I have a situation (dealing with paludis) that seem to be eluding me
currently (or maybe I'm simply being a bit thick...)

The following line appears every time I try to perform a world update:

  paludis -pi world   # produces the next line every time it executes

sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2 {:4.1} [S] (-altivec) -bootstrap -build doc fortran
-gcj gtk (-hardened) -ip28 -ip32r10k -mudflap (-multilib) multislot
(-n32) (-n64) nls -nocxx objc objc++ -objc-gc -test -vanilla <system>

Since it is already installed, I can avoid recompiling every time I
update by appending --dl-new-slots as-needed  to the paludis command.
Perhaps I really don't have the grasp of the concepts that I thought I
did but my understanding of the multislot USE variable is that it's
supposed to prevent this exact situation.  Is this a bug?

Regards,

Bob