On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:26:30 +0200
Andrej Filipcic <andrej.filip...@ijs.si> wrote:
> I use a single chroot build system to prepare the pbins which are
> then distributed to the cluster. The repository filesystem is
> read-only on the nodes.

Any particular reason for doing things that way? It's easier if you
have local copies of the pbin repository.

> 1) Is there a method to perform the package update operations only
> (move, slotmove)?  fix-cache or sync cannot be used since .cache dirs
> are readonly.

Well... You could do 'cave sync installed'. Bit of a hack though...

> 2) the build chroot has all the packages installed. In case of
> rebuilds (fix- linkage), the packages are by default reinstalled from
> the pbin repository instead of being built first. Is there a better
> way than to manually remove the pbin files to force rebuilding (or
> use "-mb" first and then install for each package)?

I think you're looking for --via-binary there.

> 3) Are there any methods to clean-up the obsolete pbin packages?

You can use --one-binary-per-slot when resolving, and you can use cave
print-unused-distfiles for getting rid of the tarballs.

> 4) For package updates (move, slotmove), is there a way to update the
> pbin packages?

No. I'm inclined not to support that, since updates aren't even
possible to do properly on installed packages.

--
Ciaran McCreesh