Mon Nov 30 11:35:23 2020: Request 129312 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by KWALZER
       Queue: PAR-Packer
     Subject: Code signing for OSX
   Broken in: (no value)
    Severity: (no value)
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: phi...@kime.org.uk
 Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=129312 >

On Mon Nov 30 11:16:26 2020, RSCHUPP wrote:
> On 2020-11-30 10:44:40, KWALZER wrote:
> > I did not. Neither the documentation, the changelog, nor the email
> > threads made clear that this was a necessary step.
>
> Err, from the Changes file:
>
> 1.048  2019-04-29
>
> - Fix RT#129312: Code signing for OSX

I overlooked the one-line gcc comment in the source file. I understand that
these sorts of things are sometimes brief, but I think this is the tersest
documentation I've ever read. :-) I was looking for more detailed comments in
the changelog, cf. "this file must be compiled separately," or in the man page.
Better still would be automatic compilation and installation on macOS - could
the OP submit a pull request to modify the makefile and man page? If not, I
suppose I have what I need going forward.