The Devils; Temptation

What happened to the angels who did not remain faithful to God?

 -- The angels who did not remain faithful to God were cast into hell, and these are
called bad angels, or devils.

"Depart from me, accursed ones, into the everlasting fire which was prepared for the
devil and his angels" (Matt. 25:41).

We also call them demons or fallen angels. Led by the most excellent of the angels
created by God, Lucifer or Satan, the bad angels refused to obey God when He tested
them. God did not give them a chance to repent, but cast them at once into hell.
"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer. ... Thou saidst in thy heart: 'I will
ascend into heaven, ... I will be like the Most High,'" (Is. 14:12-14). Jesus said, "I
was watching Satan fall as lightning from heaven" (Luke 10:18).

God did not create devils, but glorious angels. The rebel angels turned themselves
into devils by their sin.
By one grave sin against God these angels of light became vile demons, and were
condemned to hell for all eternity. We should draw a lesson from this and determine
never to sin.

What is the chief way in which the bad angels try to harm us? --

The chief way in which the bad angels try to harm us is by tempting us to sin.

The bad angels tempt man and try to draw him away from God. Often the devil appears as
an angel of light, and we are tempted by evil which appears good. Under this guise the
devil is most dangerous.
"Be sober, be watchful! For your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goes about
seeking someone to devour" (1 Pet 5:8-9).

Without God's permission, the devil can do us no harm. God sometimes permits the devil
to tempt just men, to cleanse them from imperfections.
Our Lord Himself was tempted by the devil. God permitted Job to be harmed bodily by
the devil. Saint Anthony, Saint Teresa, and many other saints suffered from the
temptations of the evil one. But these temptations only drive the just to greater love
of God. “The life of man is a warfare” (Job. 7:1).

Sometimes devils are permitted to enter the body of a man, exercising power over his
faculties; this is called diabolic "possession". At other times devils torment one
from without; and this state is called diabolic "obsession".
When God permits diabolic obsession or possession, it is to show in some way His
glory, or to punish sin, convert sinners, or provide some means for the practice of
virtue.

In cases of diabolic possession or obsession, the aid of the Church should be sought;
for the Church received from Christ the power of exorcism. This is the act of driving
out or warding off evil spirits. It is only with the permission of his bishop that a
priest is permitted to exorcise evil spirits.

The Church forbids Catholics to have anything to do with spiritism. This is calling up
the spirits of the dead.
Some manifestations are spirit-rapping, table-lifting, slate-writing, apparitions,
communications through mediums in a state of trance. Most of the spiritist seances are
fraudulent, but sometimes the devil manifests himself. God can permit the souls of the
dead to return to earth. But there is no indication that He permits Himself to obey
mediums. The devil may sometimes impersonate the spirits of the dead. Satan is old and
skillful in deceit, and can assume the appearance of an angel of light.

Do all temptations come from the bad angels?

-- Some temptations come from the bad angels; but other temptations come from
ourselves and from the persons and things about us.

This is what we mean when we say that temptations come to us from the flesh, the
world, and the devil.
The evil inclinations of our weak and corrupted nature tempt us to sin. The world,
with its sinful wants and vanities, tempts us to sin. The devil goes about continually
tempting us, making use of both our nature and the world for his evil purposes.

In itself, temptation is not a sin. It becomes sinful only when: (a) we bring it upon
ourselves by carelessness or overconfidence; (b) we play with, take pleasure in, or
yield to it.
The greatest saints have often been most strongly tempted. Our Lord even permitted
Himself to be tempted. Thus we see that temptation is not a sin, because we are not
responsible for it.

God permits us to be tempted in order to try us, to let us win an eternal reward.
God subjected the angels to a test. Those who passed it are now enjoying Him in
heaven, their reward. "Because thou wast acceptable to God, it was necessary that
temptation should prove thee" (Tob. 12:13).

God permitted the devil to tempt our first parents. Temptations serve to keep us
humble. God permits all mankind to have temptations but never temptation beyond their
strength to resist. "God is faithful and will not permit you to be tempted beyond your
strength" (1 Cor. 10:13).

The stronger the temptation, the greater the graces God gives for its conquest.
The conquest by the saints of wicked temptations have made them greater saints. Christ
Himself was tempted by the devil, to gluttony, to avarice, and to pride. He wanted to
show us that by resisting we may rise to greater love of God. Good men who art worried
because so many temptations assail them should remember that ants quickly gather over
a jar of honey; the devil strives to catch the good, because he is already sure of the
wicked.

Can we always resist temptations?

-- We can always resist temptations, because no temptation can force us into Sin, and
God will always help us if we ask Him.
The length of time during which a temptation persists does not make it sinful, if we
continue resisting it. A temptation may attack us all our lives, but as long as we
fight it, or pay no attention to it, as long as we do not yield, we commit no sin. We
have not been conquered, and God will reward us for the good fight.

No temptation can do us harm if we obey God's laws and keep away from sin. If we
resist, temptation will flee from us.
Our lot for all eternity depends entirely on ourselves. God votes for heaven; the
devil votes for hell. The deciding vote is ours. Shall we vote for heaven or for hell?
"Resist the devil, and he will flee from you” (James 4:7).

When assailed by temptation, one must at once resist. It is easier to conquer
temptation at the beginning than later on, just as a fire is easier to put out at the
outset.
Since nothing can be done without divine grace, one must pray. One must imitate the
Apostles who had recourse to Jesus when a storm arose. Let him say at once, "Lord,
make haste to help me!"

Some remedies against temptation are:

Watchfulness and prayer.
"Watch and pray, that you may not enter into temptation" (Matt. 26:41). Avoid
idleness, keeping always occupied, either by work, or by wholesome recreation. If evil
thoughts enter the mind, think of other things, in this way ignoring the temptation.

Frequent confession and Holy Communion.

Devotion to the Blessed Virgin and the Guardian Angels.