Okay that explains it. I am not sure how the ubuntu mainter built the
3.8.0 binary. I just tried the binaries available on ParaView website
for 3.8.0 and there are no issues. I am guessing he somehow has
brought in a more recent servermanager.py than 3.8.0.

Solution would be to either use kitware binaries
(http://paraview.org/files/v3.8/), or locate and edit servermanager.py
manually to remove the offending line or wait for the next release.

Utkarsh