Hi there. Actually, no, you shouldn't need a preamp just for plugging a mixer into your sound card. I have one hooked into my PC with nothing extra to make it work. A couple of possibilities occur. For instance, was the mixer properly hooked up. A patch cord needs to go from the mixer's "out" jacks to your computer's "in jacks. Also, line in needs to be checked on your sound card's configuration scheme. If, for instance, mike is checked, that could account for no sound. Finally, for everything to work, whatever is patched into the mixer has to be properly patched, with both the mixer's and computer's volume levels properly set.

Larry

----- Original Message ----- From: "Victory Associates LTD, Inc." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "PC audio discussion list. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 11:51 AM
Subject: CONNECTING A MIXER TO THE COMPUTER -- DO I NEED A PREAMP??

Hi Everyone:

Ok, a general explanation is necessary before I paucit the question:

Yesterday in church, one of my colleagues was trying to record the service via the computer using a software he called Music Studio 2005; he ran a one-eight inch patch cord from the Maki mixer to the LINE-IN on the computer. However, he was unable to record.

He asked me why he was unable to record having connected the mixer to the computer with a patch cord; I told him that a preamp would be needed for this to occur. Is my assessment close enough to being correct??

The computer has an ONBOARD sound and a port for DVD-OUT. There are NO SPEAKERS attached to the computer, and I don't have a screen reader installed on it so I can't check anything out.

I'd be most grateful if the experts in the house could please straighten this out for me. I can answer any questions that may be necessary in order to get the help I need!!

Sincerely,
Olusegun