Don, good mystery. I think the culprit here may be phantom information from a screen reader. In sum, I'm going to suggest that you write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the question, explaining that you use a screen reader, then please share your answer with me. They are very responsive.

I haven't moved to 5.2, still using 5.1. I hadn't poked my head into the auto-stop recordingdialog, so thanks for the opportunity.

Using JFW, I don't see the problem you report. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, not unlikely. In advanced stop recording conditions, there are three checkboxes, each of which expands when checked so that relevant data can be offered. The first limits the recording to a size, the second says that if nothing has been recorded for a given length of time, stop, and the third lets you be more elaborate, saying that if the sound threshold does not exceed a given percentage for a given period of time, we stop, as long as a certain specified minimum recording length has been achieved. I haven't looked at the dialog with WE.

That's how I read it.  Let's figure out where the reality lies.

Dean