Another thing to check is to run msconfig and look through the entries
in the Startup tab.  There may be some entries in there that don't show
up in the system tray.

You could also bring up Task Manager or some other process reporting
tool to see if there's a process that starts hogging the processor about
the same time you see the stuttering problems.

Another thing that I do is to go into my sound themes and set a
relatively annocuous sound for process start and process end.  If some
process is kicking off before the stuttering starts, you'll hear it kick
off.  This will at least tell you if something is starting up that may
be using up a lot of processor cycles.

Gary Petraccaro wrote:
> I'll check the drivers.  I looked in the tray and disabled everything except
> AVG.

Christopher