A good start would be to clean all of the surfaces that come in contact with
the tape including the pinch roller, capstan, and playback and recording
heads.
Failing that it is:
Tape Baking
When magnetic recording tapes are being stored, moisture is slowly absorbed
by the binder that holds the components of the tape together. Affected tapes
will squeak when played back. The squeaking can be heard directly from the
tape passing over the playback head and other fixed parts of the player, but
is also transmitted electronically through the playback head. Often the tape
will also sound dull and distorted.

If you hear a tape that is squeaking, stop playing the tape immediately.
Continuing to play a squeaking tape can cause permanent damage to the tape,
and in some cases damage to the player.

This problem can happen to any tape, but is more common in tapes
manufactured after the mid 1970s in the USA.

The solution to the problem of squeaking tapes is to bake the tapes at very
low temperature in an oven. There are as many different opinions about
optimum temperature and duration of baking as there are audio engineers.
Certainly, do not attempt to bake your own tapes unless you can be certain
that the temperature in your oven will not exceed 60 degrees Celsius

CD ROM Services Pty Ltd offers a tape baking service, and although we have
successfully baked well over a hundred tapes, and haven't damaged one, we
will take all care in baking your tapes, but cannot take responsibility for
accidental damage. If you give us your tapes to bake, it is on the basis
that you agree with this