Well, this is probably getting off topic, and there are probably other
mailing lists where politics could be discussed to death, but I'll go
ahead and make two contributions to this discussion anyway.

First, the statement "Simple, really. If either organization for the
blind down there were to get such a law to pass, the other would shoot
it down." is an overly simplistic statement and is made with nothing to
back it up. I'm sure if the details were looked at, it would be obvious
that there's more to this than just the organizations of the blind being
contrary.

Second, the statement "... we can't make any progress in getting things
done, because our blind population can't agree on any solutions!" is
also equally simplistic and denies the fact that the blind population is
a subset of the overall population. Sure, I'd like to believe that the
blind are just plain better than everyone else, we're more altruistic,
smarter, quicker to set aside our differences, and so on, but just as
the population in general doesn't always agree on everything, even when
the common good is being debated, it's naive to think the blind
population will be any different.

Christopher