I don't have any problems rewinding through a track with the Zen Stone.
Are you sure you're holding the rewind button down long enough? It'll
rewind about 5 seconds, play about a second, rewind about 5 seconds and
so on, so it may sound like it's advancing through the track, when
really it's rewinding. I hope that makes sense!

Christopher