Just want to clear up what might be a slight misconception at least with
regard to hobby broadcasting in the U.S.
Hobby broadcasting is governed under FCC part 15 of the FCC rules and regs.
These rules are summarized below.  Thanks to the Ramsey Electronics Bulletin
Board from which I copied this info.

Hello All,

After you read my post, please do not respond with comments about "go for
it", "relax and have fun", "you won't hurt anybody and won't get caught", or
many of the other criticisms which have resulted when someone, such as I,
explain the reality of the FCC rules regarding part 15 FM. My intent is not
tell anyone what to do or what not to do; it is to provide information so
those who are interested can have a knowledge base from which they can
decide
on their own how to proceed. If I state technical or other inaccuracies, I
will welcome and acknowledge corrections.

The FCC rules for unlicensed operation in the FM band limit, among other
things, the field strength to 250 microvolts per meter measured at 3 meters.
This
is not a limit on power, transmission lines, grounds, nor antennas. This
limit actually includes the effects of all of these variables and focuses
only
on the outcome. To put this field strength in perspective, this field
strength can be produced by about 11 nanowatts into a dipole antenna. One
nanowatt
is one one millionth of a milliwatt, so the information typically mentioned
about 25 milliwatt transmitters is not only not presenting any meaningful
information
about compliance with the FCC rules, it is misleading people into believing
that this power is the norm for legal hobby FM. A 25 milliwatt output
delivered
to a typical antenna will exceed the field strength limit by about 1400
times. Many have been cited and fined where the citations mention field
strengths
in the range of that which can easily be produced by 25 milliwatt
transmitter output power.

If you don't think this is something to consider, check these links (look
for NOUO and NAL):

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/Welcome.html

You will see that there are many citations and fines for unlicensed
operation on the FM band. You might think that the kit your built is OK but
consider
the information on the following links, especially with regard to the
calculated "milliwatt" transmitter powers which resulted in FCC actions:

http://part15.us/node/1375#comment-4249

http://www.part15.us/node/716#comment-1578

You might assume that because you bought a FM transmitter kit from a good
source (such as Ramsey) that it is going to be legal to put it on the air.
This
is not true unless you can, by some means, assure that you comply with the
rules. All of the FM transmitter kits of which I am aware are NOT FCC
certified
nor type accepted. It is legal to offer these for sale as kits, but the
responsibility for legal use falls on the user. There is no assurance to be
gained
that you will not have a problem just because you bought and assembled a kit
from a reputable manufacturer. It is up to you!

I have a Ramsey FM transmitter and I have limited the range of this unit to
less than 200 feet. Why? Because the FCC itself has published an information
sheet which states that this is the approximate range to expect from a legal
station. I have no other means to judge my compliance with the regulations,
but this is probably close enough.

You can achieve, with the kits available and simple antennas, much greater
range but consider that you cannot do so legally in the US. A cavelier
attitude
on the part of those who operate FM transmitters built from kits and who
intentionally or unintentionally violate the rules may result in, by a
change
in the rules, the complete elimination of FM transmitter kits from the
market

It is your choice regarding what you do. It is my hope, after you have read
this, that you will do so knowing what is involved.

Neil