Right, thanks for all this and I'm puzzled really as to why
manufacturers cannot put "on-the-fly" editing into these devices, i
mean (in theory that is) these are small (but not powerful) computers
are they not? For example, I'm reliably informed that if someone
wanted to write editing software for the Iriver then it could be
applied.
Ok, I also understand that these units may not even be software
upgradable but one would think this sort of simple tool could have
been thought of in the basic design of the thing. The Iriver 340 for
example is not a powerful machine, meaning that processing power
comes nowhere near a desktop computer so if one can apply editing
functions to one of these machines by simply writing software then
I'm sure Sony and others should be able to do likewise, I think
writing to internal RAM and memory stick is far faster than writing
to an internal hard drive.
I hope I'm getting my point across here.

On 04/10/2007, at 10:21 AM, Michael Lang wrote:

> Dane, you wrote:
>
>> I wanted to be able to edit "on-the-fly" rahter than having to
>> transfer data to a computer and in this respect, the Minidisc
>> machines I have come into their absolute own, whether the new flash
>> recorders that the subject line relates to will be able to handle
>> this I don't know, I hope they do though.
>
> I think, that Minidisc will be the best solution for a long time, if
> you want powerful editing functions on the recorder itself. With the
> Sony PCM-D50, you can divide tracks while and after recording, but you
> cannot combine, as one can with Minidisc. The Marantz PMD620 has a
> function called copy segment, with which one should be able to isolate
> a certain portion of a file, which one wants to quickly upload.
> However, this portion has to be written to a card, which may take
> relatively long, if the passage is several hundred megs big. No flash
> recorder offers the nice rehearsal, which makes setting trackmarks on
> Minidiscs so powerful. The Plextalk PTR2 can do it, but it has other
> disadvantages, when it comes to editing, it doesn't make the space of
> deleted audio available in a lot of situations for instance.
>
>    <*** Michael Lang ***>

Join the fight against spam!  Have your ISP enable client/server authentication.