Hi Caroline,
if you have other plugins, like ones from  SoundForge for example, you
could use them, instead of using one that has come  with GW.  For
example, if you wanted an effect that you could get using SoundForge,
I'm pretty sure that you could use that same effects plugin with
GoldWave.  Personally I've used SoundForge for all my major editing
for any production work I've done for various internet stations.
Hope that helps you.