Hello,

Maybe somebody could help me...

I'm new to the audio field...  (I've had tape recorders and a little Olympus
WS330), but want to get into pro audio production.  I want whatever I've got to
be portable and relativley small.

I have moved through a series of equipment and now that I know ediiting skills
and mixing, I would like to persue a carreer in audio.

Currently, I am using  an Olympus WS330, which records into WMA and does o.k as
far as quality goes.  There are a few recorders built into certain note-takers
I use, but now I want to upgrade so I can get the best quality possible.

Here's what I'm looking to do:

Record in sterio, as high quality as possible so I can pick up:

musical instruments (ukulele especially, as that is what I play)

Sound effects

Ambiances (animals, walking in certain areas...  you get the picture)

Record bootleg concerts

Which recorder should I get?  I don't want to spend over $350 if I can help it
(don't have all that much at the moment).

I am also looking for a recorder that is reasonably accessable, has the quality
of the ZoomH2, is relatively small and not combersum to lug around, but
is of the highest quality possible within this price range.  I quite like the
sound quality of the zoomH2, but do not like the inaccessability of it.

What microphones should I invest in?  I want good quality external sterio
microphones...  a coe-worker highly praised LSR, and suggested Sure Mike 57 or
58 as the way to go?

I basicly want to record everything, have it sound as good as possible, and not
struggle navigating complicated menus where is the chance of me screwing
something up.  Any help on this matter you could give is greatly appreciated...
 also what else would I need?  I currently am using Soundforge and Studio
Recorder (because of it's multi-track capabilities.)
I want a recorder that has a good internal microphone and can record music very
well...  needs to have 1/8 jacks, mike in/line in, multi file types,
compression, and such.

Want a microphone that records in stereo, can pick up even the tiniest noise,
and yet can be lowered down if the gain is too loud.

How does ZoomH2 stand next to other digital recorders?  I want to be able to
record both speech and music...
Once learned, are the menus of the digital recorder ZoomH2 easy to remember and
easy to access?

Thanks for lettin' me ramble.

Sincerely,

Joshua Pearson