Mary,

It is likely you have a ground loop between the computer and
the VCR.  Radio Shack sells a ground loop isolator, number,
two seven zero dash zero five four for around fifteen
dollars.  It is cylinder shaped, maybe four inches long and
an inch and a half in diameter.  It has a stereo cable coming
out of each end with male RCA connectors.  An adaptor with
female RCA connectors on one end and a mini plug on the other
end is included.  I've had great success using these.

Tom

** Message From: mary dole **
>Greetings,
>
>How does one record onto a PC from a VCR without hum? I have
>tried both patching the two together directly and by using a
>mixer. I don't get this hum from any other source, and I have
>recorded onto a cassette deck in the past from the same
>machine. Do I need special cables? If so, where does one get
>them? I have already tried my neighborhood Radio Shack store.
>Thank you for any help you can give.

Jonathan Mosen List Founder