From: pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org]
On Behalf Of Ray
Sent: 01 November 2009 22:28
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: RE: Problems Playing WMV and MOV Files

Caroline, I'm not surprised the Beeb isn't making it easy to play downloaded
files in other media players because, after all, the licence you're granted
play these does in the normal way of playing them expire in 28 days or
something like that.

I wonder though if there is an extra DRM module or plug-in for Windows Media
Player that would allow you to play these programs in WMP.  The BBC itself
might be prepared to answer this question.

As an aside I'm rather surprised the Beeb hasn't closed the seeming loop
hole
where people are downloading radio programmes as that's not what is supposed
to happen.  there agreement with copyright holders is for 7 days streaming
availability after a programme goes out.  Still, a bit off the subject I
know.

Hope you get an answer to this Caroline and I see you've posted this issue
on
Access-UK so who knows, maybe an answer will yet surface there.

Ray

Caroline Ford wrote:
Ray,

Thank you for the advice.  I have read the article but it doesn't seem to
offer much help as to what the problem is.  The files I am trying to play
are downloaded programmes from the BBC iPlayer so they will have DRM
protection.  I have been able to stream a short sample of these programmes
successfully just to make sure everything was working properly, and then
proceeded to download the two versions on offer, one for portable players
and one for Windows Media Player.  Neither of these will play on my PC.  I
don't know whether there's something I need to do to allow Windows Media
Player to play DRM files, but I have checked for updates and am already
running version 11 with no updates on offer.  I'm surprised the BBC have
made it so fiendishly difficult to play these files.  Perhaps they prefer
people just to stream their programmes instead.

Caroline.

database 4566 (20091102) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 4566 (20091102) __________