From: pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org]
On Behalf Of Ray
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 10:51 AM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: Recording Audio

Sorry, must contradict the below.

I use Sound forge and Audio Studio to record what's going through the sound
card of my computers;  not only that but skype conversations and YouTube and
BBC streams at high quality.   This has meant I don't need to move from my
computer to get interviews with some local people as Skype recorded via
Sound
forge does it very nicely.Streams as well.

All that is necessary to do this is to select the right input device in the
appropriate recording software's input/output settings.  Of course the
mixer,
(M Audio Delta for the most part in my case) has to be set so that the
output
faders are right up, or nearly so.  the other faders will control levels of
line input/ as well as SPDIF, and line and digital outs of the Delta card.

Much the same goes for the more humble and grotty on-board sound of my other
computer, but Sound Studio (and goldwave) will record what's going through
the
sound card once the right input has been set.  That's often the tricky part
and where people often come unstuck.

I agree whole heartedly though that goldWave and Total recorder are very
good,
the latter if you aren't going to do a lot of editing.  It depends far more
on
your sound card, it's settings and the setup of editing software - if that's
what you are using.  total Recorder would, of course, make things much
easier,
as well as saving money.

Ray

Dane Trethowan wrote:
Hi!

For the purposes of this discussion - as Lisa's asked a perfectly valid
question - I've changed the subject line to avoid confusion.

Yes products like Goldwave, Sound Forge, Total Recorded, Audacity and
Wavepad
have the ability to record from at least the input or multiple audio input
hardware sources of a computer and that's where Total Recorder is different,
this software has the purpose built ability to record any audio which is
coming in and out of a Windows computer and this includes software streams
such as Internet broadcasts, Skye chats, streams of audio being played by
another application such as Winamp or Windows media player and so on, to my
knowledge software such as Sound Forge, Goldwave, audacity  and Wavepad
cannot
"capture" this type of audio so that's where Total Recorder comes into its
own.

As to what you want or need? Well that's a personal choice, you may find
yourself buying one or more applications for your use, Total Recorder for
example is excellent! for the person who wants to "Record" audio, with its
built-in tools and flexibility it can't be beaten and the Professional
edition
has a good built-in audio editor to boot.  On the other hand of you're
thinking abut doing audio editing which requires the precise manipulation of
sound they you may have to go for a piece of software with better editing
capabilities such as Sound Forge or Goldwave, I personally recommend
Goldwave
over Sound Forge and I've documented a lot of my reasons why on this list.
The really great thing is that you can get both Total Recorder and Goldwave
-
in other words a great recording and a great editing tool - for well under a
hundred dollars, armed with these 2 pieces of software you'll have most of
what you'll ever require for manipulating sound on your computer, burning
sound to CD and so on.

The primers I gave a link to on the Total Recorder web site can be adapted
other applications in the main because the steps outlined are pretty
straight
forward though some may not apply to different applications as outlined
above.

http://www.totalrecorder.com/recording_Internet-telephony_conversations.htm

******************************

Twitter: http://twitter.com/grtdane