to amend the information Dane gave. If your sound card has "stereo mix" or "What you hear" in the record section, with these features turned on you can capture anything that goes through the sound card. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dane Trethowan" <grtd...@internode.on.net>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2009 4:23 PM
Subject: Recording Audio

Hi!

For the purposes of this discussion - as Lisa's asked a perfectly valid question - I've changed the subject line to avoid confusion.

Yes products like Goldwave, Sound Forge, Total Recorded, Audacity and Wavepad have the ability to record from at least the input or multiple audio input hardware sources of a computer and that's where Total Recorder is different, this software has the purpose built ability to record any audio which is coming in and out of a Windows computer and this includes software streams such as Internet broadcasts, Skye chats, streams of audio being played by another application such as Winamp or Windows media player and so on, to my knowledge software such as Sound Forge, Goldwave, audacity and Wavepad cannot "capture" this type of audio so that's where Total Recorder comes into its own.

As to what you want or need? Well that's a personal choice, you may find yourself buying one or more applications for your use, Total Recorder for example is excellent! for the person who wants to "Record" audio, with its built-in tools and flexibility it can't be beaten and the Professional edition has a good built-in audio editor to boot. On the other hand of you're thinking abut doing audio editing which requires the precise manipulation of sound they you may have to go for a piece of software with better editing capabilities such as Sound Forge or Goldwave, I personally recommend Goldwave over Sound Forge and I've documented a lot of my reasons why on this list. The really great thing is that you can get both Total Recorder and Goldwave - in other words a great recording and a great editing tool - for well under a hundred dollars, armed with these 2 pieces of software you'll have most of what you'll ever require for manipulating sound on your computer, burning sound to CD and so on.

The primers I gave a link to on the Total Recorder web site can be adapted to other applications in the main because the steps outlined are pretty straight forward though some may not apply to different applications as outlined above.