To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: Where to place downloaded BARD books [was "saving and playingaudiobooks from my NLS player"]

Yes, this is how I have my music organized on my booksense, my Rockbox player and my PC. On my NLS cartridge, and on the USB memory stick I used to use with my DTBM, I found I had to place my MP3's in the Audio+Podcasts so I could move from MP3 file to file on the DTBM. Also, as I said in a previous note, your BARD books can go in any directory, as long as you have one book per directory. Looks like the advice I got on using the $DTB folder came from a Victor Stream user. Here's what it says on the BARD Talk FAQ at http://www.bardtalk.com/faq.php:

12. Can I move a thumb drive with NLS books between my third party reading device and my DTB player and have it work with both? Answer: Yes. The NLS dtbm will locate any NLS books on your thumb drive regardless of the folder names in which they are placed. If your third party reading device requires the NLS books to be in a certain folder, you should place them branching off that folder if you plan to listen to them using both the dtbm and your third party reader. For example, if your third party reader is a Victor Reader Stream, you would place the NLS books in subfolders below $VRDTB on your thumb drive so you could listen to them on both the NLS dtbm and your Stream. Remember that bookmarks including your current reading position are stored on the individual device and will not transfer when you switch the media between reading devices.
13. Where do I put MP3 files I want to listen to on my DTB player?
Answer: Create a folder on your thumb drive or a writable cartridge called: audio+podcasts. Note, when creating this folder, use the + sign between audio and podcasts. Additional folders may be created under that main folder. Mp3 files will be played sequentially based on their file names. the NLS dtbm will not announce the names of the files because it does not have a built in text to speech engine.

--

Christopher
chalt...@gmail.com