>From what I have heard so far things are going well, but I would like to
read that article about drive calibration..

-----Original Message-----
From: pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org]
On Behalf Of Kelly Pierce
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 6:52 PM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: cdex questions

sunshine,

EAC can scan a CD at least 20 times to compare the integrity of each
sector. If EAC obtains identical readings on the same sector, it uses
that data. If not, it keeps reading the sector on the CD to obtain a
wave form closest to the original recording.  In addition, it is
possible to calibrate most CD drives so EAC compensates for the offset
from the manufacturer.  the multiple reads and the offset feature
along with precise control of the Lame CODEC produces excellent rips
that cannot be surpassed.

Jim,

after the initial set up and familiarization, configure Lame to your
own taste, presets are recommended, insert your naming conventions,
and calibrate your player with EAC. There is a long article on drive
calibration on line that i used to calibrate my drive.  After that,
try a test rip and listen to the results.  Realize EAC rips take
longer than the quick and dirty rips done in itunes or Windows Media,
but the results are far superior.  I have a computer dedicated to PC
Audio so this is not an issue for me.

Kelly