From: pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org]
On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:58 PM
To: 'PC Audio Discussion List'
Subject: Windows Media Player 11

Hi.

WMP11 has six format settings for ripping CDs. I chose WAV (Lossless). WMP
took a long time to go through the ripping process, and in fact never
completed it, although all the tracks from the CD showed up in the
designated folder. When I attempted to play these tracks, MS responded with
a message to the effect that the player can't play either this CD or this
format.

However, when I put the same  CD in just to play, not rip, WMP went right
ahead.

I changed the format to Windows Media Audio Lossless, and the player
smoothly ripped the files to the folder. When it was done, I could play the
tracks from that folder.

There is nothing wrong with this CD. If I just play it, WMP operates fine.
WMP can also rip and play its contents, albeit with my second choice of
format. What it can't do is play files in my preferred format, even though
it's one of the six ripping format options offered by the same WMP.

Any ideas?