OK, apologies for the confusion but I've just found out that autosave
only works with bounded selections and mine are unbounded.  However, I
know that on my old computer it used to save the files as .tmp files
when I stopped recording.  Is this still possible with more recent
versions of GoldWave and, if so, how can I please make sure that this
happens so that I can access files after a necessary shutdown?

Thanks, Danny