One other thing you can say about the Z-5500 is that in the world of electronics where models come and go frequently, it has a long sales life. I bought mine in 2004, and it is still being sold the last time I checked this year.

Gary King
w4...@bellsouth.net
----- Original Message ----- From: "goshawk on horseback" <goshawk_on_horseb...@fastmail.co.uk>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2012 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: 5.1 stereo amps to connect to a sound card

first off, to the best of my knowledge, a single stereo jack, or 2 RCA
plugs, are not going to carry a full 5.1 signal, as you would then be asking
a stereo connection, normally for 2 speakers, to carry a 6 speaker signal,
which is what 5.1 is. it needs either 3 stereo jacks, 6 RCA plugs, or a
digital connection.

the only thing I can think of that comes reasonably close to what you are
looking for, is the logitech z-5500 speaker system.
it doesn't have all the ins and outs of a full home cinema amp, but does
have 2 digital inputs, an analog input on 3 stereo jacks, and it does have a single stereo jack input, which you could try using, but I personally doubt
that you will get full 5.1 through it.
a few other points of this system are:
1. the controls and connections, are mounted on a remote wired pod, which is
ideal if not a lot of space is available.
2. apart from the sub, the speakers are quite small, but still give a very
good sound.
and 3. apart from the sub, all other speakers can be stand or wall mounted
super easily, thanks to there swiveling stands.
it also has a remote control.
the only thing I had to say against the system, being a bit of an
audiophile, is that it could have been supplied with better quality speaker
cable.
apart from that, it is a very good system for those who haven't got room
for, or who just don't want all the bells and whistles of a full home cinema
amp.
for example, I got mine after a move gone wrong, when I had to downsize a
bit, but still wanted a decent 5.1 sound system for my tv. and like I said, apart from the not very good speaker cable supplied, which I changed, I have
got no complaints.

hope this helps.

Simon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Ventura" <frank.vent...@littlebreezes.com>