After Octimax there was a plugin written by the same person called Volume
Logic.  I don't recall if it was Octimax or Volume Logic that was bought but
neither of them are produced any more.
Seems I've heard of Breakaway and I might even have tried it without success
but I've gone back to good old Audiostocker which is free and I've copied from
one pc to the next since the late 90s.