Have you changed the usb cable you're using? I find my Plextalk Pocket if very sensitive to the cable used. If I use USB cables other than the ones provided with the unit, I generally get the failed to connect error.

Occasionally, I find that making sure the Plextalk is turned on before connecting rather than turning it on after connecting also makes a difference. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Bollard" <joebolla...@eircom.net>
To: "pc- audio" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 5:38 AM
Subject: question

hello friends, lately when attaching my plextalk recorder to the USB port on my desktop i've been getting the message "one of the portable devices has malfunctioned and this computer doesn't recognise it" this means i can't copy material from the plextalk, i'm using windows seven and sound forge seven, this is only a recent phinominon can anyone help, i do a lot of audio work and use my plextalk a lot, take care,god bless, travel safely, joe bollard, the republic of ireland.