Yes I can understand where you're coming from there, iTunes is not my main
player, I use VLC to play CD'S and just about everything else given that VLC
allows for better quality audio as it uses its own audio decoders and encoders,
can easily play a wider variety of formats etc.

Where itunes comes into its own is - as I think you were illuding to - its
online integration with the store, Internet Radio, I use the "Match" and iTunes
radio music services often and so forth.

It used to be that earlier versions of iTunes supported external plug-ins , at
one time you could play FLAC format etc with iTunes but that ability seems to
have gone which is a shame, guess the only saving grace that FLAC - being a
lossless audio format - can be converted to Lossless M$a format which iTunes
will play happily.