Thanks to both Gary and to Dane for answering my question. I apparently did not verbalize correctly. What I am trying to find out is what digital format I need to use for the inputs. In other words, instead of connecting the input device to the mini disc via analog connection, I want to use the digital input mode so that the beginning and end of track markers will be put in automatically. When transferring pop stuff to mini disc, the markers work reasonably well. But when attempting to transfer classical music, because of the quiet passages, sometimes extra start markers are inserted.

Again, thanks for responding.

Don Roberts

On 4/6/2014 7:19 PM, Gary Schindler wrote:
Don, the system is called atrac, which stands for Audio Transform
acoustics or something like that. it is near CD quality, 128 KBPS with a
sampling rate of 32 kilobytes.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donald L. Roberts"
<donald.robert...@gmail.com>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2014 9:55 PM
Subject: Digital audio question

Though the system is obsolete, I still enjoy using my mini disc
players. Until now, I have always made analog copies of material I
wanted on mini disc.  But I would like to know specifically which
digital audio format is used when making a digital copy on to mini
disc.  I am aware of the limitations caused by the mini disc's digital
serial copy management system.

Thanks for feedback.

Don Roberts

.