From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of Dane
Trethowan
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 04:41
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: Stereo AM

Slight corrections required here <smile>.

AM Stereo was "Pushed" for cars and I can tell you exactly which manufacturers
were paid to put
Stereo AM into their products as I was working in the car industry myself at
the time, never seen so
many sales brochures pertaining to one particular topic at any one time. So the
manufacturers were
Rover, Holden (GM) - in their Berlenia and Kellett Comodore models -, SAAB,
Mercedes, Jagua, Nissan
- in their Pintara and above - some rebadge Nissan cars sold by Ford,
Reindriver.

There are stations still broadcasting Stereo AM in Australia as I reported
earlier, the one I know
of is 2CA in Canberra.

Stereo AM - as Barry says - never took off in Australia because the format
really never had a chance
to, unlike digital radio Stereo AM was never given any proper launch, all
stations were told was
that if they wanted to Broadcast in Stereo AM - and many did because of the
financial squeeze being
placed upon them by the new FM commercial stations - then they could go right
ahead from February
1st 1985 and most stations were broadcasting in that format on or by that date.

I know that many stations in the Melbourne area were broadcasting in this
format long before
February 1ST thus these stations had a head start in the game, they were able
to Tweak the
performance of the transmitter and equipment, experiment with the various
methods of Stereo AM
around at the time, gage listener feed back from myself and another person I
know who I reckon were
probably just about the only people who had AM Stereo sets in Melbourne at one
stage of the game.

The Stereo AM sets were far more expensive than other radios available and were
low in stock thus
consumers weren't interested, "Why should I pay 5 times the price for a Stereo
AM set when the FM
one is cheaper and still receives AM which I don't really want to listen to
anyway as it sounds
dreadful on the radio I have".

Then there was the court battle over which AM Stereo method should be used in
Australia which -
though finally resolved - didn't help matters, as mentioned earlier som
manufacturers such as Sony
took matters into their own hands.

There were also interference issues though I never personally experienced any!
in all my time of
using Stereo AM sets, things were so bad in Sydney at one stage that Radio 2Uw
and others wouldn't
transmit in Stereo AM between 7 A.M. and 7 P.M..

Because of the expensive nature of a Stereo AM set other solutions were soon
devised and they found
their way onto the market.  For example, you could buy a "Stereo AM Converter"
which you tuned to
the Stereo AM frequency and then the converter would transmit that received
signal onto a
predetermined frequency on the FM band for your car stereo to receive.

The cheapest AM Stereo tuner I ever saw was one sold by radio shack, I saw it
as low as $50 and it
was amazingly simple but yet so amazingly affective and quality was very
reasonable, I know many
inghusiests still have these tuners to this day and most have had mods done on
them of various kinds
to make them even better.

And finally, the other big problem with Stereo AM was the lack of
self-contained systems such as
Music Centers and the like featuring Stereo AM, Voxon was the only firm that
marketed such devices.

To my knowledge, the last AM Stereo unit ever made was by Sony in 1995 which
marketed the 25th
Anerversary Walkman model which had Am Stereo as part of it, I'm fortunate
enough to own one of
those sets.

A new standard of Stereo AM was proposed but by the mid 90's manufacturers had
given the whole idea
away completely and this standard meant spending yet more money on completely
new chips, I don't
know the name of the standard proposed but I do know that the band width was
far wider than what we
had been used to up until this time.

Many people dismiss Am Stereo as "Rubbish" but I certainly do not, with a good
radio and a good
signal Stereo AM sounded nearly as good - in fact some what better - than many
processed FM
singnals.

As for music stations in Australia, there are still many that transmit on AM -
in stereo or not -
which still do very well: 2CH in Sydney, Magic 1278 and My MP in Melbourne,
Magic 882 and 4KQ in
Brisbane, Cruise 1323 in Adelaide and many other country stations, music will
always be a part of AM
radio in Australia because of the long distances AM is able to travel and be
heard.

On 8 Apr 2014, at 9:06 am, Barry Chapman <ba...@bchapman.id.au> wrote:

> This is true. However, AM stereo never really took off in Australia,
> other than for car radios, although a number of stations either did or still
> do use it. I don't
actually own an AM stereo receiver.

> These days in Australia, most of the music stations are on FM while
> the AM band is mainly for talk stations. In the capital cities where digital
> radio exists, all the
major AM and FM stations simulcast in digital stereo, along with other digital
only stations.