yes, it's digital.
look for an analog to digital converter.
scratch that.  an digital to analog converter.

-----Original Message----- From: Darran Ross Sent: Friday, July 18, 2014 12:08 PM To: PC Audio Discussion List Subject: Re: Toslink connector question
Yes, that will indeed be  a digital signal.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donald L. Roberts" <donald.robert...@gmail.com>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2014 4:28 PM
Subject: Toslink connector question

This question pertains to the toslink connector on my Apple TV box. Is the signal which comes from the Apple TV's toslink connector a digital signal or an analog signal? If digital, then I need to convert it to analog as my receiver is quite old and has no digital inputs, only RCA analog inputs. I do realize that I could listen to the television set's audio, but I do not choose to do so as my TV has the dubious distinction of producing the tinniest audio I have ever heard. Thanks.

Don Roberts