Yep you can set up a VPN but there's very little point in doing that if you don't have a VPN provider.

That's where services like Witopia are dead handy because they provide you with the server so you can set your VPN up but - even better than that - you don't have to know a single thing about setting up VPN networks to use Witopia, just install the client.

This last method would be of particular interest to Windows users as - in Windows - you cannot set up a secure VPN Network with protocols such as IPSEC so the client is dead handy that way.