Got to the beginning of the file, you can use ctrol-home or press the to start button.

From here type shift-l, which sets the beginning of the selection.

Navigate to the end of the portion you wish to cut out of the file and press shift-r which sents the end of the selection.

Press the delete key and the selection will be erased.

Tip, see the selection menu under the edit menu for further enhancements to fine tune your selection etc.