John,

You wrote:

Hi.  I have found something very strange in goldwave -- I had a small
selection of about a second and hit f3 and it kept right on going, but
then I hit control left bracket and after that f3 just played the
selection -- what am I missing here?

Control left bracket?  what is this intended to achieve?  can't bring to
mind what it ought to do.

What value is your play2 (f3) set for?

My play1 (f2) is set to play all, play2 (f3) selection, i.e whatever is
between the start and finish markers and my play3 (f4) is set to view, i.e
whatever is on the screen.  Sounds to me you have your play2 set to
selection same as me, what do you want to achieve?

More and explicit information please.